Inside eerie mansion abandoned 54 years ago as famous owner left everything

An urban explorer has taken a look around an eerie mansion which had laid abandoned for more than 50 years and had an impressive history.

Rosehall House sold at the end of last year after being on the market for a cool £2m for the last four years.

It was once a secret hideaway for fashion icon Coco Chanel and is still full of luxury finds.

The Highlands retreat was home to the founder of the multi million pound fashion dynasty and she lived there in the 1920s with her lover Hugh Grosvenor.

An undisclosed offer made by a foreign buyer has now been accepted, although it is understood the house and 700-acres of grounds will take millions to restore.

But a fan who recently managed to get in the grounds was in awe as they got to take a look around, recording their visit and then later sharing it on TikTok.

They jokingly called the house “bloody huge” adding that it was “lovely and clean” as they filmed the debris and mess which had built up over the years.

They also added that the place “smells just like Chanel No. 5”.

Another urban explorer, called Matt shared footage to their YouTube channel, Finders Beepers History Seekers.

He said: “One room had bottles of beer and sherry as well as barrels of wine inside.

“It was just really fascinating to think about who might have been the last person to drink out of one of those bottles.

“The entire place was amazing and to have the opportunity to actually get in there was crazy.

He added: “Some of the rooms were absolutely massive. Some of the windows must have been 15 feet tall but it was riddled with damp and the walls were full of cracks.

“It was what I expected in a lot of the rooms, with everything stripped back but some of the period features like the cast iron fireplace were just beautiful.

“Coco Chanel came here before the war and spent a lot of time living here. These were her glory days and it’s crazy to think who might have walked into that building before me. It’s just a real shame that it’s in the state it is now.”

Rosehall was one of the most expensive properties in Scotland when it was marketed back in 2015.

The 22-room house was originally built in 1873 after a house on the same site was destroyed by fire.

Coco was the duke’s lover between 1924 and 1930 and spent several summers there, redecorating every room in handsome floral wallpaper inspired by her flat in Paris.

Scraps of the French designer’s hand-blocked wallpaper can still be seen in the 22 rooms, while Winston Churchill stayed there in 1928 as he recovered from illness.

Writing to his wife, Clementine, Churchill had much praise for the French fashion designer.

He wrote: “Coco fishes from morn till night, and in two months has killed 50 salmon.

“She is very agreeable — really a great and strong being fit to rule a man or an Empire.”

The house was due to become a hotel in 2014 but previous negotiations fell through.

It has been uninhabited since 1967 and is on Scotland’s register of high risk properties, with extensive dry rot.

Pictures show peeling wallpaper, crumbling ceilings, rusted metal and its generally dilapidated state.

The original property was built for Richard Dunning, 2nd Lord Ashburton (1782-1823), after he bought the estate in 1806, but the house burnt down in May 1817.

It was replaced with the current house and likely incorporated some fabric from the former, such as the West wing with its barrel-vaulted ceiling.

It is the only known house in Scotland with an interior by Chanel and its survival has been hailed as “remarkable” by experts from the Buildings At Risk register.

A description of the house on the register’s website says: “Beige was a colour which Chanel frequently used in her interiors, such as her office door at the famous Rue Cambon Chanel showrooms in Paris and the sofa in her apartment on the second floor.

“Local knowledge had suggested that the house contained the first bidet in Scotland, installed as part of Chanel’s scheme, however this seems unlikely as bidet’s were being manufactured in Scotland from the early 1900s.